Music, everyone has their likes and dislikes. But something that seems to bring us all together is soundtracks. But what is it about them that we all enjoy? Why are we all enamoured to anything written by John Williams or Danny Elfman?


Generally speaking, the difference between a soundtrack and ‘normal’ music, is its purpose. Soundtrack music is specifically designed to stir something inside of the listener. To be slightly dramatic, most people at one time or another have imagined themselves in a music video, or imagined themselves having a dramatic montage for some reason or another. Often the music we choose is one that we personally relate to a certain feeling. However, movie and film sound tracks are designed so that more people relate to it. Without words, these pieces of music can reach more people than a song by your favourite artist.

So what is it that determines a soundtrack?

Nothing particularly. Some soundtracks feature popular songs. But the most successful ones seem to have no lyrics and have sweeping parts in them that draw you in. Most people find themselves drawn to soundtracks because of what they’re from. If they’re from a film that is really popular, or that they really like, they will associate the music with the fondness.

By far my favourite piece is from the film 28 weeks later, however the film is far from favourite. So indeed, I am contradicting myself, with the point I made above. The reason that I like it is how it begins slower and then gets more passionate and swells, before calming to a stop. it is a song that never fails to cheer me up when I am feeling a little down.

In the same sense, there are soundtracks I listen to when I need to focus, or study. They are often best for studying because they are designed to be in the background, rather than capturing your attention from what’s on screen.

Another reason people seem to enjoy soundtracks so much is due to our childhood. I personally have never been overly drawn to the soundtrack from Star Wars. I never watched it as a child. Unlike Harry Potter which I find so drawn towards that even from the first note I can recognise the piece and it’ll take me back to my childhood, where life was simpler, and it reminds me of how magical the films were when I first watched them.

Regardless of what your favourite soundtrack is, I think we can all agree. The right one, is magical and very powerful in their abilities to move us.