Reviews of the Shows I Watch: Week beginning Mon 6th November
Hey guys! This is Muneeb here, the Treasurer for the society. More often than not if I post on this blog it’ll be my reviews of the shows I watch during the week. I want to make this a weekly post I do, providing my degree allows me to (but who needs a degree, right?). Please do let me know if you’d like me to continue this and do engage with me! I wanna know what you guys think of the week’s episodes and discuss them with you.
I’ll try and keep each review relatively short, but feel free to skip ahead to a show you and I have in common rather than reading the whole thing! Currently the shows coming out weekly I watch are:
·     The Gifted
·     The Flash
·     Legends of Tomorrow
·     Arrow
·     Star Trek: Discovery
I’ll try to keep it spoiler-free for the most part!


Star Trek: Discovery – Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Tyler, Burnham and Saru [1]
   Sidenote: I am new to the Trek universe so please be kind!
   As someone who is new to the lore of Star Trek and its worlds, I’m really beginning to enjoy Discovery. The season did have a shaky start, but damn it is going strong now.
   Halfway through the season now and I am really liking the show. I’ve grown to like the main character – Michael Burnham – and it is good to see her character begin to develop. I love the addition of Ash Tyler to the team and enjoy the chemistry he and Burnham seem to have.
   It was a really interesting watch this week due to the exploration of a new planet and the development with Saru and his feelings. The Klingon whose name has slipped by me and her twist were great to watch too and I really can’t wait to see where it leads.
The episode overall was fun to watch and kept me wanting more with each new development – can’t wait for next week’s!


The Gifted - got your siX
Lorna (Polaris), Lauren and Wes [2]
I’m really enjoying the X-Men show that Fox have made, it’s really beginning to turn into something good.
This week was the 6th episode of the show so far and it was a good one. Lots of good plot points and devices being used, even if some of them feel overused and overdone.
Making one of the “villains” (he’s not really, if you think about it) look vulnerable and giving him something relatable in the previous episode has simply improved his character this week in the sense that the audience finally understands what his motivations for being so cruel towards the mutants.
Overall, another good episode this week and I’m really excited to where this will lead to, really hope Fox don’t mess it up.


The Flash – Girls Night Out
   Sigh. That’s how I felt about the whole episode really. There was an underlying theme of feminism this week. Now, that is something I have absolutely no issue with. My issue is with the way it was done.
   The whole episode just felt so forced, cringey and very much in-your-face.
   There were some strong points though, like Iris talking to Frost and trying to convince her not to run off and that there is good in her, and the two beginning to form a stronger bond at the end – some good character development.
   I really don’t like the character of Dibny and think he is an unnecessary addition to the team, but that remains to be seen.
   Overall I think this episode is just one to forget and the less said about it, the better.
Legends of Tomorrow – Return of the Mack
Our favourite band of misfits [3]
   Continuing with the Arrowverse, this week’s Legends episode was pretty good I like to think, perfect way to get over the bad Flash episode.
   More of the same sense of humour that I love about this show, but well balanced with tough issues to deal with as a team.
   I was sceptical about Zari at first, but being the fish-out-of-water on the team makes her interesting and she is starting to grow on me, I’m excited to see where her connection to Amaya leads.
   The return of a certain character is gonna be an excellent addition to this season and I really look forward to meeting this Mallus that seems to be the big bad for the season.
   Overall, another good episode from the band of misfits.


Arrow - Deathstroke Returns
Oliver and Slade [4]
The title of the episode sets up the whole premise of it, doesn’t it? But boy did I enjoy it.
The recent turn of Slade being more relatable, more human even, has been a great addition to the show this season, and it’s shown why here. I loved the dynamic he and Ollie had going in this episode; a friend helping another, a father helping another. The twist at the end of the episode was a good one, if not a little predictable.
As for Team Arrow, I’m really liking the antagonistic Agent Watson and how she continues to put the team under pressure not to slip up and let the whole secret slip out - a great character for the season.
Finding out the identity of the Vigilante from last season was… interesting. I didn’t expect it to be who it was, but what the writers did with the character after the reveal was all too predictable and a little stale, to be honest.
Overall, though, it was a good episode again this week - I’m enjoying where this season is heading.

That’s it for my first blog post - let me know what you think of it! There are a few other shows - some outside the realm of sci-fi and fantasy - I do watch along with the reviewed ones but I left them out as this was a bit of a trial post. If you want me to review those shows then let me know too.
Thanks for reading!

[1] Picture of Doug Jones, Sonequa Martin-Green and Shazad Latif in Star Trek: Discovery, season 1, episode 8 (2017). Accessed 11 November 2017, <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5888594/mediaviewer/rm2638436352>

[2] Picture of Natalie Alyn Lind, Emma Dumont and Danny Ramirez in The Gifted, season 1, episode 6 (2017). Accessed 11 November 2017, <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7400166/mediaviewer/rm3153549312>

[3] Picture of Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Franz Drameh, Nick Zano and Dominic Purcell n DC's Legends of Tomorrow, season 3, episode 5 (2017). Accessed 11 November 2017, <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6464544/mediaviewer/rm2981255168>

[4] Picture of Stephen Amell and Manu Bennet in Arrow, season 6, episode 5 (2017). Accessed 11 November 2017, <http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6493662/mediaviewer/rm2116900864>